If you live in the greater Houston area and are seeking a psych evaluation, New Dimensions can help. We provide psych evaluations through our psychological testing services for children, adolescents, and adults. New Dimensions has locations in Katy, The Woodlands, and Houston, Texas.
What is a Psych Evaluation?
A psych evaluation is a comprehensive assessment conducted by a trained mental health professional to gather information about an individual’s mental, emotional, and cognitive functioning. The purpose of a psychological evaluation is to understand and diagnose any potential psychological or psychiatric issues, provide treatment recommendations, and gain insights into the individual’s overall mental well-being.
Some of the areas that we provide psych evaluations for include:
- Developmental Disabilities
- Bipolar Disorder (Type I and II)
- Disruptive Behavior, Impulse Control, and Conduct Disorders
- Substance Dependence
- Personality Disorders
Benefits of Psych Evals through Psychological Testing at New Dimensions
- Clarification of Diagnosis – Many psychological disorders have common symptoms. Psychological testing can help bring clarity about which diagnosis is the primary driver of the existing problems.
- Clarification of Current Level of Functioning – Psychological testing can provide insight into an individual’s current level of functioning and their ability to improve their functioning in the future.
- Clarification of Treatment Goals – Psychological testing can help highlight where treatment should focus, which can improve overall treatment outcomes.
- Clarification of Underlying Problems or Disorders – Psychological testing can provide insight into underlying disorders that may be contributing to the current problematic behaviors.
Types of Psych Evaluations
Not all psych evals are the same. The term “psych eval” is often used to refer to a variety of assessment processes. To provide you guidance on finding the right type of evaluation to meet your needs, we have listed some of the most common types of assessments that fall within the “psych eval” category.
- Medication Evaluation – This type of evaluation is typically done by a psychiatrist and is designed to determine if medications are appropriate.
- Educational Assessment – This type of evaluation is typically provided by schools to assess learning difficulties, intellectual capabilities, and other factors that could impact a student’s academic performance. This can help inform the development of an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or determine eligibility for special education services.
- Forensic Evaluation – In legal settings, a psych eval might be used to assess an individual’s mental state, competency to stand trial, or the presence of mental health issues that could impact legal judgments.
- Psychological Testing – Psychological testing is often referred to as a psych eval. Psychological testing can often help identify underlying psychological issues, clarify diagnosis, and provide guidance around treatment plans. Psychological testing is typically done by a licensed Psychologist who is trained in the use of psychological testing instruments.
- Evaluation for Admission to Treatment – When someone is evaluated for admission into a treatment program, the initial assessment is sometimes referred to as a psych eval. These evaluations often include psychiatric and medical history as well as the identification of the current mental and emotional status of the individual.
How to Schedule a Psych Eval at New Dimensions
If you are seeking a psych eval to give you guidance on treatment for mental health issues, New Dimensions can help. Our psychological testing services are designed to help you identify underlying psychological issues, clarify the diagnosis, and provide direction on treatment planning. To learn more, contact us at 800-685-9796 or visit our website at www.nddtreatment.com.
New Dimensions also offers PHP and IOP programs for teens and adults with mental health and substance abuse issues and Intervention Services for those individuals needing help for substance abuse issues.