In the best of circumstances, parenting can be difficult. When you are a single parent, it is even more difficult. Listed below are some steps that you can take to help you navigate the challenges of being a single parent.
Follow effective parenting strategies.
- Make your home a safe and stable environment.
- Develop a routine.
- Create predictable rules and consequences.
- Be consistent.
- Create rules that allow for natural consequences.
- Create rules that are enforceable.
- Create rules that focus on teaching rather than punishing.
- Teach values early and often.
- Teach rather than criticize.
- Create clear expectations and communicate them openly.
- Take time to listen to your kids.
- Take time to have fun and play with your kids.
- Keep in mind that your job as a parent is to teach your kids the skills that they need to effectively function in the world around them.
- Be respectful and expect respect in return.
Follow good self-care strategies.
- Remember that parenting is a marathon, not a sprint. You have to pace yourself to survive as a single parent.
- Don’t overcommit and underdeliver.
- Take time to nurture yourself.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Develop and maintain your own friendships and support network.
- Utilize outside resources to help. Take advantage of “Mother’s Day Out” or get a babysitter periodically. It often really does take a “village to raise a child.”Take advantage of the help that is around you.
- Seek out fun. It is much easier to manage the stressors of single parenting if you have laughter in your life.
- Let go of the parental guilt. You can’t do everything so be willing to forgive yourself for falling short of meeting your own expectations.
- Exercise and stay active.
- Eat healthy foods. Don’t fall into the trap of eating junk foods to get relief from stress.
- Develop effective stress management strategies.
- Learn to relax without using alcohol or drugs.
- Learn to let go of past mistakes or disappointments. Focus on living life fully in the moment instead of dwelling in the past.
New Dimensions Can Help!
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above symptoms or problems, New Dimensions can help. Our team of experienced therapists and psychiatrists can help you overcome these challenges and help you develop the skills you need to thrive. To schedule a complementary assessment or to find out more about our programs, contact us at 1-800-685-9796.
Our affiliate, MHThrive, provides Individual Therapy, Couples and Marriage Counseling, and Family Therapy at our locations in Katy, The Woodlands, and the Clear Lake area of Houston, Texas. We also provide telehealth therapy for anyone who resides within the State of Texas. To schedule an appointment with one of the MHThrive therapists, contact us at 713-477-0333 or visit www.mhthrive.com to learn more.