If you are asking the question “am I going crazy”, the answer is that you probably aren’t. Most people who lose touch with reality (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, paranoia), usually don’t ask this question. They are typically unaware that they are becoming delusional or beginning to hallucinate. So, if you are beginning to feel like you are “going to lose it”, you are probably experiencing some other mental health crisis. Some of the most common mental health issues where people feel like they are going “crazy” are:
- Depression and Anxiety – If you are struggling with depression and anxiety, you might begin to feel overwhelmed. Some people commonly refer to this as a “nervous breakdown”.
- Bipolar Episode – When a person cycles between the highs and lows that can occur with bipolar, they may begin to feel crazy. They may also feel crazy during a manic episode that spirals out of control.
- Stress – If you are overwhelmed with stress, you might begin to feel “crazy”.
- Unresolved Trauma – Sometimes, when a person begins to remember unresolved trauma, they begin to feel “crazy”. This often occurs because the feelings associated with the trauma may emerge before the actual memories. As a result, a person may have intense feelings, body sensations, or thoughts that don’t match their current situation.
- Substance Abuse – Abusing drugs and/or alcohol can make you feel crazy. In fact, when someone becomes addicted, their thoughts often become disorganized, delusional, and self-destructive.
If you are asking yourself the question “Am I going crazy”, don’t ignore the feelings. Instead, get help so you can work through the underlying problems and get back to living the life that you want.
New Dimensions Can Help!
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above symptoms or problems, New Dimensions can help. Our team of experienced therapists and psychiatrists can help you overcome these challenges and help you develop the skills you need to thrive. To schedule a complementary assessment or to find out more about our programs, contact us at 1-800-685-9796.
Our affiliate, MHThrive, provides Individual Therapy, Couples and Marriage Counseling, and Family Therapy at our locations in Katy, The Woodlands, and the Clear Lake area of Houston, Texas. We also provide telehealth therapy for anyone who resides within the State of Texas. To schedule an appointment with one of the MHThrive therapists, contact us at 713-477-0333 or visit www.mhthrive.com to learn more.