Many people who struggle with depression and anxiety don’t know where to start when they begin looking for help. Since there are a variety of treatment options, it is helpful to know what the choices are so you can find the treatment that is right for you. Listed below are the types of providers that provide treatment for depression and anxiety in Texas.
- Therapists – Licensed therapists are trained in the treatment of mental health and substance abuse issues. Therapists often can help you develop effective coping skills to manage your anxiety and depression and can help you work through the issues that may be causing the problems. The primary types of therapists in Texas are:
- Licensed Psychologists
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Licensed Professional Counselors
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Psychiatrists – Psychiatrists are Medical Doctors who specialize in the treatment of mental health and substance abuse issues. While some psychiatrists provide therapy, most focus exclusively on medication management.
- Primary Care Physicians – Around 50% of antidepressants are prescribed by primary care physicians. Your family doctor can be a great resource if you are needing to start medications quickly to manage your anxiety and depression.
- Internists – Many internists will also treat anxiety and depression.
- OB/GYNs – Because some new mothers struggle with post-partum depression, OB/GYN physicians will frequently help manage medications related to depression and anxiety.
- Cardiologists – Depression and anxiety are common for many people that struggle with heart problems. As a result, some cardiologists will assist in managing medications to treat depression and anxiety.
When looking for a doctor to treat your depression and anxiety, it is helpful to remember that most providers tend to specialize in different areas. For instance, some therapists may work primarily with children while others focus more on relationship issues. When talking with providers, ask them about their experience and expertise in treating your areas of concern. Because therapy is often very effective at helping a person overcome depression and anxiety, some people find that they are able to successfully treat their issues without the use of medications. If medications are required, then your family physician can be a great place to start. However, it is helpful to remember that psychiatrists are specialists in psychiatric medication management and can often be the best choice when treating mental health issues.
New Dimensions provides Mental Health Resource Books that list psychiatrists, therapists, and other mental health resources in Katy, The Woodlands, and The Clear Lake area of Houston. You can find a copy of these books on our website. We also sponsor www.TherapistNearMe.com which is an online database of therapists. Both resources can be a great place to start if you are looking for a doctor to treat depression or anxiety. In addition, New Dimensions provides Partial Hospitalization and Intensive Outpatient Treatment for Adolescents and Adults who are struggling with mental health and substance abuse issues.
New Dimensions Can Help!
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above symptoms or problems, New Dimensions can help. Our team of experienced therapists and psychiatrists can help you overcome these challenges and help you develop the skills you need to thrive. To schedule a complementary assessment or to find out more about our programs, contact us at 1-800-685-9796.
Our affiliate, MHThrive, provides Individual Therapy, Couples and Marriage Counseling, and Family Therapy at our locations in Katy, The Woodlands, and the Clear Lake area of Houston, Texas. We also provide telehealth therapy for anyone who resides within the State of Texas. To schedule an appointment with one of the MHThrive therapists, contact us at 713-477-0333 or visit www.mhthrive.com to learn more.