Everyone has ups and downs in life. In general, most people manage these ups and downs without experiencing significant problems. However, the challenges of life sometimes become so great that they overwhelm a person’s normal ability to cope. As a result, an individual may begin to experience significant mental distress or begin to abuse alcohol or drugs. The checklist below is designed to help you identify employees or coworkers who may be in crisis and may need help. Some of the signs to look for include:
- Increase in absenteeism.
- Showing up late for work and/or leaving early on a frequent basis.
- Increase in agitation and angry outbursts.
- Increase in conflicts at work.
- Decrease in productivity.
- Missing deadlines more frequently.
- Making more mistakes on the job.
- Increase in accidents on the job.
- Sick frequently.
- Depressed mood.
- Increasing lethargy or apathy.
- Increasingly withdrawn and isolated.
- Tearfulness at work.
- Complaints frequently of being “stressed out all of the time.”
- Frequent complaints of not being able to stay focused, because they have “too much on their mind.”
- Beginning to experience panic attacks.
- Recently experienced a significant loss or traumatic event.
- Expressions of wanting to “give up.”
- Express thoughts of suicide.
- Begin to look disheveled or unkempt.
- Change in personality.
- Recent DUI.
- Failing a drug screen.
If you have an employee or coworker who is struggling, get them help. The earlier that a person gets help the quicker they tend to return to their normal level of functioning.
New Dimensions Can Help!
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above symptoms or problems, New Dimensions can help. Our team of experienced therapists and psychiatrists can help you overcome these challenges and help you develop the skills you need to thrive. To schedule a complementary assessment or to find out more about our programs, contact us at 1-800-685-9796.
Our affiliate, MHThrive, provides Individual Therapy, Couples and Marriage Counseling, and Family Therapy at our locations in Katy, The Woodlands, and the Clear Lake area of Houston, Texas. We also provide telehealth therapy for anyone who resides within the State of Texas. To schedule an appointment with one of the MHThrive therapists, contact us at 713-477-0333 or visit www.mhthrive.com to learn more.